May 29, 2007

A Duplicate Title

Ignore this, too. I'm trying to find out what Minx does to the URL when two posts have exactly the same title.

UPDATE: As I feared. Pixy, you have a problem. The "timestamp" link and the "Add Comment" link on the first of the two posts now go to this one instead. It looks as if the first one is in the database (because it's still displaying on the front page), but if anyone directly links to the first one they will get the second one.

If the blogger ever creates a post with a duplicate title, even months later, all links from outside to the older post will be broken and will reroute to the newer post.

If there's already a post with a given title, the URL for the new one should get an alteration, like a number added after it. In other words, this one should have the URL "http://chizumatic.mee.nu/a_duplicate_title002" or something like that.

That means the posting process will need to do a database search to see if there is a duplicate.

Posted by: Steven Den Beste in Site Stuff at 10:36 PM | Comments (8) | Add Comment
Post contains 179 words, total size 1 kb.

1 Not exactly a bug, rather "broken as designed".  It's supposed to do that... but you're supposed to have the ability to tell it to form the URLs to your requirements.  Only that's not in place yet.

I'll get it fixed.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at May 29, 2007 11:54 PM (PiXy!)

2 Oh, and you can change the path for a post.  On the post edit screen, click on Options, which opens up a section for additional options, including the path.

(I still intend to provide options to control this behaviour, but that's how you can fix it right now.)

Posted by: Pixy Misa at May 30, 2007 11:52 AM (PiXy!)

3 Hi there,

totally unrelated to your blog, but I read a discussion on metafilter (I was wondering why I had 1000 more hits than normal ) and I read your post you made about the recording of the First Moog Quartet with the Boston Pops. I am VERY interested in it. Could you contact me at my e-mail adres I provided in my post?

kind regards,
Coen

Posted by: Coen at May 30, 2007 02:43 PM (wQYRu)

4

No, I can't, because you also included a URL and that takes precedence. (Try mousing over your name above.)

There's not a lot I can do for you, because I don't have that tape anymore.

Posted by: Steven Den Beste at May 30, 2007 04:50 PM (+rSRq)

5

As I haven't looked at it yet, I'm not sure about this, but does not MeeNu blogs allow you to examine the e-mail addresses of commentors, Steven, in the editing screens (for example, where you'd go if you wanted to delete a comment)?

I know MuNu (where The Pond is located) does...

Posted by: Wonderduck at May 30, 2007 06:55 PM (6YRS5)

6 Answer: no. The only info I get is the same info seen above: the URL of his web site.

Posted by: Steven Den Beste at May 30, 2007 07:26 PM (+rSRq)

7 The information is there - in the [comment.mail] field - but it's not presented in the current version of the comment management screen due to lack of space.  Another thing I need to attend to...

Posted by: Pixy Misa at May 30, 2007 07:59 PM (PiXy!)

8 There's a lot of that, by the way - what I'm working on right now is mostly exposing existing features by coding the appropriate templates.  That inevitably leads to debugging, tweaking, and additional features, so it's taking rather longer than I'd anticipated.

It's the old 80/20 rule: The first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% takes the other 80% of the time...

Posted by: Pixy Misa at May 30, 2007 08:02 PM (PiXy!)

Hide Comments | Add Comment

Enclose all spoilers in spoiler tags:
      [spoiler]your spoiler here[/spoiler]
Spoilers which are not properly tagged will be ruthlessly deleted on sight.
Also, I hate unsolicited suggestions and advice. (Even when you think you're being funny.)

At Chizumatic, we take pride in being incomplete, incorrect, inconsistent, and unfair. We do all of them deliberately.

How to put links in your comment

Comments are disabled. Post is locked.
8kb generated in CPU 0.01, elapsed 0.0088 seconds.
21 queries taking 0.0041 seconds, 25 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.